I don't really have any new news, but thought I'd give you all a quick "Adoption Protocol Rundown - Australia Style"!!!
First up, I did email my agency yesterday, begging for a call when the files arrive, and did get a response - it's not going to happen! Our agency is very thorough - and our file must be approved by the agency first, before they ring us... otherwise its not "ethical". I was a bit bummed... but hey, what can you do?
Here's our process:
* Send in an "expression of interest" - basically noting preferences for child's sex, age & country
*Go to an information session
* Go to a weekend "educational" - get all learned up on racism, different countries, prodecures
* Do homestudy - they like to do it over 3 visits - ours did it in one, thank the Lord, as she didn't write our report for 3 months
* Do police checks, medicals and financial reports from accountant
* Put file together - include photos and other official paperwork
* Submit file, file then goes before a review board, to be approved and registered with our Govt
* File is sent to China, once there are at least 4 family files
* Wait. No ringing agency, no ringing China. Just wait.
* Registration last for 3 years - so its highly likely you'll need to re-register. (re-do police checks, medicals and update finances)
* Finally, after several years of waiting, you'll get a phonecall! (that is, as long as you're not in the old folks home yet!!!) The phone call comes, once the file has been translated and approved.
* Make appointment to go into agency to go through file
* Hold file for 48 hours before agency will accept decision
* Acceptance, or non-acceptance is sent straight back to China
* Agency contacts Australian Consulate, makes appointment - then all other travel arrangements work 2 weeks forward from that date
* Book flights, and all other arrangements are made by a Travel Service in China
* GO TO CHINA!!
* FINALLY GET TO HOLD CHILD!!!
.... live happily ever after!!
Yes, I stopped after "get child!" There is more official stuff after that... but who cares - you have the child, right?!!!
So, in light of our procedures - I'm guess-timating that the files will arrive either today (Fri) or Mon-Tues, next week. I'm thinking we'll get a phone call next Friday? The kids will be off school then, and I was just thinking - how exciting it will be that we'll be all together as a family when we see our Mini. (once US referrals start rolling in, I think we'll be approx. a week after that)
Of course... all this is purely speculation - we don't know when the cut-off is. I'm assuming. (Mr T always tells me, not to assume... it makes an ASS outta U and ME!!!)
I hope I'm not an ass.