"Adopting a Child won't change the world; but for that Child the world will change."

Monday 29 December 2008

Our Daughter's Name

As alot of you know, we had a bit of trouble settling on our daughter's name!!! Initially she was a Bella. When I was pregnant with H-Man, we decided if he was a girl, his name would be Bella. So when we started paperwork for our third child... she was going to be Bella (yes... we're a bit lazy) Anyhoo, somtime in 2007, I was doing Creche at Church - and had 3 Bella's in there!!! (2 were Isabella's and one had the middle name Bella, and it appears it's now her nickname!) Everywhere I went there were Isabellas. Now don't get me wrong - I LOVE the name ~ we must be partial, to popular names, H-Man has a popular name, so his name is always either followed by our surname or S, due to the fact there's always at least one other wherever he goes... he hates it!!! So, I convinced Mr T, that we should look at other names. She was Ruby Li for about 6 weeks... til hubs decided he wasn't good with that.

One night at a BBQ at a friend's place, we were discussing names, and she had a long list of names. (literally, a list!) Apparently, Mr T looked over my shoulder and glanced through the list and saw Tari. He whispered in my ear, "I like Tari". I said "Yeah, thats nice"... but didn't really think too much more about it.

At the Hotel we stay at in Bali, their "Spa / Treatment" Area is called "Tari Spa". Tari in Balinese means dance. I searched the baby name sites, and also found it is a Hebrew name, meaning "fresh". I told Mr T, he said "That's her name, then. She's having a "fresh" start with us!". I liked it. Later, I put Tari into a Chinese Translation site - it came up that it is a phrase. The words Ta and Ri together mean "Another Day". That just sealed the deal for me! I think its perfect. She was born on Another Day, in Another Place... but very soon we'll be a family.

Mei means Charming, Attractive, Flatter... I'm pretty bias... but gosh, she is so darn beautiful!

I thought I'd better start using her Psuedo on my blog - I'm paranoid about googlers!!! I've decided to change her Psuedo too!!! From Mini - to TINY!! :)

**EDIT: Sorry!! Didn't tell you how to pronounce it!!! Tari is pronounced ~ Tah-ree; And Mei is pronounced May**

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a lovely name. I am not sure how to pronounce it, though. Is it pronounced like Terri or like Tah-ree?

Kim said...

LOVE her name.. but I think Isabella or Bella is a WONDERFUL name also...
I am sooo happy for you..
Have a Wonderful Week..
Hugs..
Before long we will be following you to China..

Anonymous said...

Tari is a lovely name, and the stories behind it are equally lovely! I like it when a name has significant meaning beyond just being a 'nice name'.

Alyson and Ford said...

Love the name and the meanings. Wonderful when the name clicks for both of you!
We blogged about AA's name back in July of 2005.

Alyzabeth's Mommy

C's Mom said...

I just love it and the story behind it. Like Sandra asked, what is the pronunciation?

4D said...

Thx for the explanation. It is a lovely and unique name.

Keep smilin!

a Tonggu Momma said...

It's a lovely name. I love the thought you put behind it. We, too, really spent a lot of time picking out names. How are you pronouncing Tari?

kitchu said...

Well I love both her names- Tari and Tiny!! :O) The meaning is beautiful too- congrats again, I'm just so excited for you guys!

Truly Blessed said...

Lovely...your new baby girl AND her name!

So happy that you received your referral, and on Christmas Eve, no less, how lovely.

And wouldn't it be wonderful to meet up with Connie in China? Just may happen...!

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

What a great choice for a name, it's so beautiful!

Abby's Mom said...

Neat story and what a beautiful name :)

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I love it... and love all the 'signs' that came along to make you pick that name...

Red Sand said...

Very lovely name choice. Here's to the new year and happy travels.

Unknown said...

love the name!
Donna

Elyssium Earth said...

She's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting background on a great name!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard the name before but I absolutely LOVE it :) I think it's beautiful and it really fits her. It also flows really well together with Mei.
Also, it's funny how as your header was loading I looked at her picture on there and she fits right in with the rest of you it seems like you've always had her picture up there :)

Lisa said...

It's perfect! I am so happy for you guys. You were one of my first "bloggy" pals and it's so great to see you come full circle. Can't wait to see you all in China with your precious baby girl!!

Catherine said...

It's so neat to hear the formation of your beautiful baby girl's name!

Happy New Year friend!

Shannon said...

I think her name is so special and a perfect choice for your family! =)